Cinefemme Membership FAQ
Cinefemme is a non-profit organization created by women filmmakers, for women filmmakers. We provide fiscal sponsorship to a limited number of qualified non-commercial projects with women in key creative roles. Our series of innovative programs, events and screenings connect women filmmakers to opportunities to green-light their projects. Membership costs $80 (US) annually and includes the following benefits (we cannot guarantee that membership grants access to all benefits for all members; some benefits are on a first come, first serve basis):
Who can be a Cinefemme?
Any key creative or department head (producer, director, screenwriter, editor, cinematographer, composer, production designer, sound engineer, VFX artist, special effects makeup artist, grip, property master, costume designer, PR/marketing executive, distributor, casting director, or development executive, etc.) who is female or identifies as a woman can become an official Cinefemme member. You will need to apply for membership and you will be notified of your acceptance via email. Once your membership is confirmed, you will have access to a wide array of Cinefemme member benefits and perks.
What do I definitely get as a member?
- Members will be able to call themselves an official Cinefemme, a brand which stands for professionalism, unity, inclusiveness, and representation for all women in key creative roles in the film, TV, and digital industries.
- Members will have access to create and update their own individual profile page on the official Cinefemme website with links to social media, creative work, and achievements. Members are advised to exercise caution with the personal information they make public.
- Members will receive Film Festival and film lab waivers and discounts.
- Members will have access to exclusive Cinefemme networking events and meet-ups, including the Vesper Violet Hour. Although most of our events are based in Los Angeles at this time, they may expand to other cities in the future.
- Members receive access to our private Facebook members-only group, a growing network of industry professionals and creative collaborators.
- Members will have access to Cinefemme partners collaborations, such as Looptown, which currently offers our members free ADR / looping and background sessions.
- Members only can submit their short films to the official Cinefemme Film Festival and Bluestocking Film Festival.
What are possible additional member benefits, contingent on availability and vetting, etc.?
- Exclusive invitation to our Dinner with Dames program. Once members have been vetted or referred by previous participants, they can sign up for a future mentorship dinner with one of our VIP hosts.
- Limited access to the Fiscal Sponsorship application. Cinefemme is volunteer-run and there is a limited amount of fiscal sponsorees that we can support within the year. Priority access is given to our volunteer staff and program directors followed by members (with an eye toward diversity). Fiscal sponsorees candidates must be members of Cinefemme to apply for fiscal sponsorship.
- Directors may receive entrance to our Cinefemme Directors Collective chapters, currently in effect across the United States. At this time, qualified directors must have directed at least one short, feature, professional music video, or high-quality web series. Film festival waivers and submission discounts are available. Individual city Chapter Heads are responsible for final acceptance into each Directors Collective.
- Potential distribution on our exclusive online Seed & Spark Cinefemme channel.
- Potential appearances at official Cinefemme speaker and filmmaker panels at various film festivals, particularly if member has a film being screened at that event.
- Potential profile or appearance on official Cinefemme podcast, The Test, and on other press outlets.
- Members can access official press release templates and may submit to release their news to the official Cinefemme Press Contact list in order to streamline their access to industry news professionals and promote their projects/events.
- Members may have their work and news promoted on official Cinefemme social media and the official Cinefemme newsletter.
Where do my membership fees go?
It’s hard work making a 501-c3 non-profit organization run smoothly! Cinefemme’s operations and development takes a lot of time from our committed staff and board. While membership dues, as a whole, neither collectively nor adequately compensate us for the work we put into Cinefemme, they certainly do help. Your funds will help compensate administrative staff with stipends, web development costs, web server hosting, graphic design work, legal fees, credit card processing fees, office and equipment costs, government filing fees, outreach costs, marketing, and more. We are launching this first year at a lower annual membership rate and will do our best to fundraise from other sources, but since Cinefemme’s programs and offerings are growing rapidly, we reserve the right to raise annual dues as necessary.
If you don’t want to pay $80 year to help support Cinefemme, we totally understand, but we prefer attracting members who appreciate and value the cost of keeping a fantastic grassroots organization running. We also encourage our members to participate, volunteer, connect us to resources, refer new members, and do their individual part to make Cinefemme the greatest organization it can be for us all. Each person has something special to bring to the table, and want to hear from you about how you can contribute to Cinefemme.
For more information about membership, please contact Heidi Honeycutt at firstname.lastname@example.org.